ABOUT AMI AND THE JOB:
AMI is a social business pioneering a scalable approach to workplace learning for Africa. We use a blended approach, combining a mobile app, in-person workshops and on-the-job practice to help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and job seekers advance their careers.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged an impressive portfolio of clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and trained over 20,000 individuals through 65 blended learning programmes in 11 African countries. AMI is currently focused on B2B and large projects.
AMI is looking for an ambitious and talented Senior Business Development Manager to join our team in Johannesburg as we expand our portfolio of business and organisational clients in Southern Africa. S/he will report to the General Manager as a senior member in the team and will be expected to play a leadership role within business development and help to grow the team in the future.
The successful candidate will be a key player in a dynamic, international team focused obsessively on results. We work hard, innovate constantly and have fun. This is a great opportunity for a business development star with a passion for learning and business growth to play a part in Africa’s transformation.
The Senior Business Development Manager will be an ambitious business development professional who consistently beats targets and sets the agenda in his or her sector. S/he must be a driven self-starter; a tech-savvy professional with great people and project skills, and the ability to analyse an organisation, understand its learning and development needs and work with our world-class learning design team to scope and sell a solution.
The successful candidate will focus on building and managing AMI’s portfolio of mid to large clients. This will include both businesses as well as partner organisations (intermediaries such as business associations).
Business Development and Partnerships |
- Strengthen AMI’s pipeline of partner organisations and businesses (B2B) in Southern Africa
- Achieve and surpass monthly and quarterly sales targets
- Understand business needs and work with the learning team to craft solutions
- Identify and generate leads through networking, designing and running events, and business associations
- Develop strategies for building networks of human capital practitioners (a ‘community of practice’), and building AMI’s reputation as a thought leader within this community
- Identify new market segments and opportunities; Work with the learning and product teams to develop new products to meet the needs of these segments
- Manage the full sales cycle including prospecting, contacting, nurturing and closing deals
- Work closely with the rest of the Business Development team to develop and improve on best practices & processes
- Support the General Manager to strategically build the Southern African business development function, and in time, to help to grow the team.
Client management |
- Work collaboratively with the learning team to devise strategies that meet the client’s needs and budget
- Work with programme management teams to manage client relationships throughout the sales cycle and beyond
- Manage client contract renewals and pricing
Job role: Senior Business Development Manager
Employment Status: Full-time
Remuneration: Competitive retainer, attractive bonus and commission
Joining Date: ASAP
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Location: Not immediately
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- Proven success in consultative, strategic sales to senior clients, and B2B business development
- The drive and tenacity to meet quarterly targets
- Ability to identify and help solve problems for potential clients
- Ability to generate new leads and relationships and systematically convert those leads into deals
- Ability to negotiate pricing and contracts with mid and large corporate clients
- A commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability
- Clear and effective communicator – both written and verbal
- Strong people skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Rock-solid integrit
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university or equivalent experience
- 5+ years business development experience, specifically selling consulting or business services (B2B)
- Documented success building partnerships and managing a full sales cycle
- Direct experience working on client accounts
- Experience writing business documents such as proposals and training presentations
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
- Experience using Sales force or other CRM system
Please send a CV, a 1-page cover letter and your salary expectation to email@example.com.
NO APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A 1 PAGE COVER LETTER INDICATING SPECIFIC INTEREST IN AMI AND SUITABILITY FOR THIS ROLE WILL BE CONSIDERED.
We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.