AMI is an entrepreneurial African social enterprise pioneering a scalable approach to workplace learning for Africa. AMI combines cutting-edge technology, world-class content, experiential workshops and an innovative peer accountability process, helping groups of managers, professionals and entrepreneurs apply what they learn on the job to drive performance and build their organisations.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and South Africa, engaged clients across the continent, and reached over 20,000 people through 70 programmes in 11 countries. AMI has the opportunity to expand into Rwanda to deliver a large project to train supervisors and entrepreneurs in the hospitality sector. The programme, funded by a high-profile foundation, will leverage AMI’s tried-and-tested blended learning methodology to empower young people in Rwanda who want to advance their career or build their businesses in the hospitality and tourism sector.
The Country Manager – Rwanda will oversee the entire programme while also setting up AMI’s presence in Rwanda more broadly. S/he will be responsible for setting up an office in Kigali, hiring and building the team, developing our client base, and establishing processes by which AMI could expand into other countries more rapidly in future.
This is a chance for an outstanding entrepreneurial leader to be part of Africa’s transformation, and to help shape, build and scale one of the continent’s most innovative social impact businesses.
The Country Manager – Rwanda must be a practical leader with a proven track record of working with high-growth entrepreneurial businesses in Africa. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic international team, and will lead execution of AMI’s strategy and drive growth on the ground in Rwanda.
We are looking for someone with an impressive track record in sales and general management. Leadership experience at a senior level in a high-growth entrepreneurial environment is a must, and experience with learning and development, management education and training or enterprise development is strongly preferred. The candidate must be based in, or willing to relocate to Kigali.
A | Hospitality Sector Project – for the Rwanda project, the successful candidate will play several key roles:
- Research: Review research conducted by AMI learning team (and external consultants) and identify where it needs to be refined to identify the specific niche focus of this programme.
- Partnerships: Build industry partnerships to ensure content relevance, support from employers (to allow their staff to take part in the programme), and for eventual placement of participants in practicums. The project will likely also use a local training provider to deliver the in-person workshops, and this partnership will need to be well managed. Managing complex programme / initiative partnerships and key regional, national, and international stakeholders.
- Learning design: Work with AMI’s learning team (and external consultants) to design a high-impact blended learning programme, using AMI’s platform, content methodology and train-the-trainer facilitator approach. This will include coordinating the work of the learning team, ensuring deadlines and deliverables are met and ensuring consultation and input is received from the Chief Learning Officer and Chief Product Officer. Design impact framework to measure success. Define all key metrics and success measures including assessing impact of learning interventions, quality of facilitation and detailed metrics on role types and placement.
- Project planning: Develop a detailed project plan, including resource allocation. Manage additional hiring needs. Oversee all timelines and ensure completion and high standards.
- Content development: Work with AMI’s content team and external learning consultants to develop a series of engaging online courses and accompanying learning material for use in the programme.
- Programme management: Oversee implementation of the learning programme, including logistics management, and developing a process for and managing the recruitment, training and quality assurance of facilitators. Managing participant outreach including identifying participants and managing entry in to the programme.
- Reporting: Ensure all project deliverables are met, and key assumptions are tested. Manage all reporting and recommendations for stakeholders.
B | Leading Rwanda – in addition to managing the Rwanda project, the successful candidate will also lead our expansion into Rwanda.
– Represent AMI at a senior level in Rwanda
– Lead the Kigali-based team serving the region, including day-to-day management
– Identify staff requirements and manage the hiring, training and on-boarding process
– Maintain and improve HR systems, policies and processes, including contracts, compensation and benefits
– Drive team performance and manage performance reviews
– Develop strong AMI presence and B2B client base in Rwanda
– Lead development of new strategic partnerships in Rwanda, including with organisations engaged in entrepreneurial development and youth employability
– Oversee client management and project implementation
– Oversee contract negotiation, pricing and invoicing of clients
– Oversee local marketing of AMI brand in Rwanda
Operations & financial management
– Register and set up AMI as a business/legal structure in Rwanda
– Oversee general office management, including rental and utilities agreements as well as procurement
– In consultation with colleagues in other regions, maintaining and improving systems for delivering outstanding customer service to our online customers and offline partners
– Overseeing management of AMI events, as and when required
– Working with external providers and the bank to manage and monitor book-keeping, payments, invoicing, payroll and all financial management for AMI Rwanda
– Arrange where appropriate for accreditation with the local country authorities
Skills and attributes:
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to execute methodically
- Outstanding commercial savvy and negotiation skills, with an eye for opportunity and a knack for closing a deal
- Ability to create order from chaos. Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment but able to design and implement effective structures and policies
- Enthusiasm and commitment for AMI’s vision of transformation through skills development
- Outstanding Project/Programme Management skills at a very senior level
- Strong research & analytical skills – ability to understand and analyse different sectors
- Strong understanding of work-based competencies. Ability to break down job roles within sectors and to identify training and development needs
- Strong learning design skills. Ability to design a learning programme that leverages AMI’s existing methodologies but meets the training needs of a specific sector and the learning styles of our target participants
- Outstanding communication skills – both written and verbal. Ability to build partnerships with stakeholders at an executive level, and to write concise and engaging programme reports
- Decision making & problem solving skills – ability to identify and resolve problems and generate alternative solutions
- Driven, independent, self-motivated, results-focused and able to take full ownership of a large programme
- Unflinching attention to detail. Outstanding organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. Presentation Skills
- Work well with people
- Proven ability to build and lead a team, motivate staff, manage performance and drive delivery. Ability to work as part of a close-knit and collaborative cross-border leadership team
- An unwavering commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation, accountability, caring and integrity
- Willingness to engage in robust debate alongside deep respect for others
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Qualifications & Experience
- Experience working in a leadership role in an entrepreneurial or high-growth environment in Africa (essential)
- Experience in management education, corporate training or enterprise development sector, ideally in programme design (strongly preferred)
- Experience in sales, business development, business operations and financial management, including managing budgets and KPIs (essential)
- Experience managing large programmes and budgets of several hundred thousand dollars (essential)
- Experience working with a social business or enterprise (preferred but not essential)
- Masters degree (MBA preferred) or equivalent experience
- AMI will consider candidates from any country, but must be willing to live and work in Rwanda and be free to travel elsewhere in Africa
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Kigali, Rwanda. Regular travel to Nairobi, Kenya. Some international travel required.
Employment Status: Full-time. 6 month probation period.
Remuneration: Competitive & commensurate with experience
AMI will consider candidates from any country, but must be willing to live and work in Kenya and be free to travel elsewhere in Africa.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining why you would be suitable for this role, including salary details for your last job. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.