AMI is a social business pioneering a scalable approach to workplace learning for Africa. We use a blended approach, combining a mobile app, in-person workshops and on-the-job practice to help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and job seekers advance their careers.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged an impressive portfolio of clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and trained over 20,000 individuals through 65 blended learning programmes in 11 African countries. AMI is currently focused on B2B and large projects. AMI is now looking for a Chief Commercial Officer to help craft and implement our next stage of growth and position AMI as the leading brand in workplace learning across the continent.
The Chief Commercial Officer will be a key senior player in AMI’s international leadership team, leading AMI’s commercial strategy and operations as we scale up to reach hundreds of thousands of managers, entrepreneurs and young professionals across Africa. The position is based at AMI’s head office in Nairobi.
This is a chance for an outstanding entrepreneurial leader with a passion for unlocking Africa’s potential to shape, build and scale one of the continent’s most innovative businesses tackling one of its biggest challenges.
The Chief Commercial Officer must be a strategic and commercial leader with a proven track record of scaling entrepreneurial businesses across Africa or another emerging market, ideally with a tech and or training/education component. The successful candidate will work with the CEO to develop and implement commercial and growth strategy, and build/lead AMI’s sales and marketing teams in existing and new markets. Leadership experience in an edTech or a high-growth business in a B2B market would be a strong advantage. Experience at a senior level in a high-growth entrepreneurial environment is a must. The candidate must be based in, or willing to relocate to Nairobi, Kenya.
The successful candidate will:
– Lead all aspects of commercial and growth strategy, ensuring commercial strategy is aligned with broader company vision
– Take responsibility for revenue across markets, managing some key accounts directly, while also leading sales teams and processes in local markets (currently Kenya, South Africa)
– Lead analysis of new market entry and assess new business lines
– Use a data-driven approach to identify winning commercial channels
– Take overall responsibility for establishing AMI’s brand at the forefront of learning and professionals development in Africa, both in current and future markets
– Lead development and implementation of the company’s marketing strategy, with a focus on sales support and lead generation
– Identify, establish and manage new strategic partnerships to expand AMI’s reach
– Liaise with product (content and technology) teams to ensure products respond to market demands
– Manage sales and marketing budgets, in liaison with senior leadership team
– Identify staff requirements and manage hiring process within sales and marketing teams as we grow into new markets
Skills & attributes
• Proven ability to scale up products and services in an African or emerging market environment
• Outstanding commercial savvy and negotiation skills, with an eye for opportunity and a knack for closing a deal
• Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to execute methodically
• Proven success designing and implementing entrepreneurial growth strategies for new products, brands or services
• Enthusiasm and commitment for AMI’s vision of transformation through skills development
• Excellent networker with a strong existing network across Africa
• Critical thinking and data analysis – Demonstrated ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases. Work with other business partners to perform deep data driven analysis of businesses; convert recommendations into market strategies
• Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively
• Proven ability build and lead a team, motivate staff, manage performance and drive delivery. Ability to work as part of a close-knit and collaborative cross-border leadership team
• An unwavering commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation, accountability, integrity and caring
• Willingness to engage in robust debate alongside deep respect for others
• Willingness to put aside ego for the benefit of the vision and the team
• Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
• Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Qualifications & Experience
• Minimum of 15 years experience with at least some of that in marketing, sales and/or business development, and at least 5 years at a senior level with strategic influence (essential)
• Experience working in a leadership role in an entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
• Experience leading commercial strategies for new products or new brands (essential)
• Experience working at a senior level in Africa or another emerging market (essential). International experience preferred.
• Experience in edTech, management education, corporate training or enterprise development sector (preferred)
• Experience working with a social business or enterprise (preferred)
• Masters degree (MBA preferred) or equivalent experience
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Nairobi, Kenya. Some travel required.
Employment Status: Full-time.
Remuneration: Competitive & commensurate with experience
AMI will consider candidates from any country, but must be willing to live and work in Kenya with frequent travel in Africa.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis so please submit ASAP explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. We will make a hire as soon as we find the right person. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.