AMI is a pan-African entrepreneurial social business that empowers African managers, entrepreneurs and young professionals through practical and accessible learning and development tools. We help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, we help entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and we help professionals develop new skills and advance their careers.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and in the process reached over 25,000 individuals in over 25 countries in Africa. AMI is looking to expand its learning team, and is looking for a Learning Designer to play three critical roles at AMI:
- Learning design – programmes, content, technology (50%)
- Business development support (30%)
- Facilitator recruitment, coaching, & management (20%)
The Learning Designer will be based at AMI’s head office in Nairobi, but will be working with teams across Africa. S/he should have extensive experience in adult learning and workplace learning (including learning design, online learning, and experiential facilitation) and a solid understanding of how business works and what businesses need in terms of learning solutions.
This is a chance for someone with a passion for learning, technology and business growth to be part of Africa’s transformation.
About the Job
The Learning Designer must be a driven, organized, tech-savvy professional with experience designing learning solutions for business. S/he should be comfortable with online and blended-learning solutions, and able to work with multiple stakeholders (AMI’s programme managers, content managers, sales team, facilitators and clients) to ensure a seamless, integrated learning experience is delivered to clients.
Learning design – programmes content, technology (50%)
- Work with the Chief Learning Officer and Chief Product Officer to constantly develop and improve AMI’s blended learning strategy and processes for scalability
- Work with the Chief Learning Officer and Chief Product Officer to build and customize key learning assets:
– To design programmes that leverage AMI’s world-class methodology,
content and online platform to meet the individual needs of business
– To develop content and workshop exercises that meet the needs of clients
– To integrate client needs and feedback into the technical roadmap /
– Customise materials, including courses, resources, case studies and
activities, as appropriate for key business clients
- Convene cross-functional project teams (consisting of platform, content and programme management people) to ensure learning solutions are fully blended and integrated
- Provide learning design support to programme delivery teams across geographies, with a focus on East Africa, including periodic analysis of programme progress and strategies to improve metrics
- Develop online engagement strategies to support online learning and the full use of AMI’s platform
- Oversee impact measurement and analysis of programmes
Business development support (30%)
- Support business development teams across geographies (particularly in East Africa) in understanding client needs and scoping new programmes
- Attending key sales meetings and events
- Conduct TNAs (training needs analysis) & creating high-level learning designs for client proposals
Facilitator recruitment, coaching & management (20%)
- Provide learning and facilitation guidance/expertise to AMI facilitators
- Identify, select and train new facilitators; provide ongoing support and assessment for existing facilitators
- Create facilitator training manuals and supporting documents as AMI scales its blended learning offering
- Lead development of a structured facilitator ‘accreditation’ process
- Manage allocation of facilitators for AMI’s busy schedule of workshops, including liaison with programme management teams
- Provide overall management and oversight of AMI facilitators in East Africa
Skills & attributes
- Strong understanding of work-based competencies. Ability to break down job roles within sectors and to identify training and development needs
- Strong instructional/learning design skills. Ability to design a learning programme that leverages AMI’s existing methodologies but meets the training needs of a specific sector and the learning styles of our target participants
- Ability to design and develop training curriculum and materials, working with subject matter experts
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal. Ability to build relationships with stakeholders at an executive level, and to write concise and engaging design briefs and proposals
- Outstanding Project/Programme Management skills at a senior level
- People/stakeholder management skills – ability to identify, train and motivate a network of freelance facilitators, to mentor and support junior staff in the office and to work laterally across AMI’s various functional departments in different locations
- A commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability
- Willingness to engage in robust debate while maintaining deep respect for others
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in designing online learning solutions, workplace learning or management education (essential)
- Experience designing and implementing learning programmes (essential)
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent experience
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Nairobi, Kenya. Some travel required.
Employment Status: Full-time.
Remuneration: Competitive & commensurate with experience
AMI will consider candidates from any country, but must be willing to live and work in Kenya and be free to travel elsewhere in Africa.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis so please apply as soon as possible. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.