AMI is a pan-African entrepreneurial social business that empowers African entrepreneurs, job seekers and managers through practical and accessible learning and development tools. We have developed Africa’s first online social learning platform (web and mobile), and combine cutting-edge technology, world-class content, in-person workshops and innovative coaching and feedback tools. We have reached over 20,000 individuals and are already working with dozens of organisations in East and Southern Africa including businesses, investment funds, business associations and NGOs.
AMI is expanding rapidly and is looking for an ambitious and talented Partnerships Manager to join our team in Johannesburg as we expand our portfolio of clients in Southern Africa. S/he will report to the General Manager, Southern Africa as part of a growing business development team. For this role, we are particularly looking for an individual with experience in the field of enterprise development/ development of entrepreneurs and/or job-seeking youth more broadly.
The successful candidate will be a key player in a dynamic, international team focused obsessively on results. We work hard, innovate constantly and have fun. This is a great opportunity for a strong relationship builder with a passion for learning and development (particularly the development of entrepreneurs and young people) to play a part in Southern Africa’s transformation.
About the Job
The Partnerships Manager will be an ambitious business development professional who consistently beats targets and sets the agenda in his or her sector. S/he must be a driven self-starter; a tech-savvy professional with great people and project skills, and the ability to analyse a potential client’s needs and work with our world-class learning design team to scope and sell a solution. The successful candidate will focus on building and managing AMI’s portfolio of mid-large clients. This will include partner organisations who may work with AMI to support entrepreneurs or young people (primary focus for this role), and businesses who may work with AMI to develop their own staff members.
New Business Development |
- Achieve and surpass monthly and quarterly sales targets
- Strengthen AMI’s pipeline of partner organisations and businesses in South Africa
- Identify and generate leads through networking , events, and AMI’s membership in relevant associations
- Manage the full sales cycle including prospecting, contacting, nurturing and closing deals
- Make presentations, negotiate and close deals with support from senior staff
- Upsell AMI products to existing clients
- Work closely with the rest of the Business Development team to develop and improve on best practices & processes
- Run targeted events (e.g. workshops) to reach potential client groups
Client management |
- Work collaboratively with the learning team to devise strategies that meet the client’s needs and budget
- Work with programme management teams to manage client relationships throughout the sales cycle and beyond
- Manage client contract renewals and pricing
- Support partner organisations in marketing workshops and other AMI products to constituents
Skills & attributes:
- Proven success in business development or fundraising/ new partnership development, particular in the context of entrepreneur and/or youth programmes
- A drive and tenacity to develop completely new sales
- An understanding of South Africa’s unique enterprise development and/or youth employability environment
- Ability to generate new leads and relationships and systematically convert those leads into deals
- Ability to negotiate pricing and contracts with mid and large clients
- Ability to sell enterprise development services and work readiness training for youth, as well as management training
- A commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability
- Clear and effective communicator – both written and verbal
- Strong people skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university or equivalent experience
- Experience in bringing in new revenue sources for a business or non-profit
- 3-5 years sales/fundraising/ partnership development experience, specifically with a focus on services
- Direct experience working on client accounts
- Experience in the context of enterprise development and/or youth employability
- Experience writing business documents such as proposals and presentations
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
- Experience using a CRM system desired
Joining Date: As soon as possible (Sept/October/November 2018)
Employment Status: Full-time. 6-month trial period.
Remuneration: Competitive base salary, attractive commission
Location: Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Please send a CV, cover letter and clear salary expectation/indication of your most recent salary to email@example.com. Your cover letter should indicate your interest in working for AMI specifically, and applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please write Partnerships Role: Southern Africa in the subject line.