AMI is expanding rapidly and is looking for an ambitious and talented Business Development Manager to join our team in Johannesburg as we expand our portfolio of clients in Southern Africa. S/he will report to the General Manager, Southern Africa as part of a growing BD team.
For this role, we are particularly looking for an individual with experience in the field of enterprise development/ development of entrepreneurs and/or job-seeking youth more broadly.
The successful candidate will be a key player in a dynamic, international team focused obsessively on results. We work hard, innovate constantly and have fun.
This is a great opportunity for a sales star with a passion for learning and development (particularly the development of entrepreneurs and young people) to play a part in Southern Africa’s transformation.
About the Job
The Business Development Manager will be an ambitious sales professional who consistently beats targets and sets the agenda in his or her sector. S/he must be a driven self-starter; a tech-savvy professional with great people and project skills, and the ability to analyse a potential client’s needs and work with our world-class learning design team to scope and sell a solution.
The successful candidate will focus on building and managing AMI’s portfolio of mid-large clients. This will include partner organisations who may work with AMI to support entrepreneurs or young people, and businesses who may work with AMI to develop their own staff members.
- Achieve and surpass monthly and quarterly sales targets
- Strengthen AMI’s pipeline of partner organisations and businesses in South Africa
- Identify and generate leads through networking , events, and AMI’s membership in relevant associations
- Manage the full sales cycle including prospecting, contacting, nurturing and closing deals
- Make presentations, negotiate and close deals with support from senior staff
- Upsell AMI products to existing clients
- Work closely with the rest of the Business Development team to develop and improve on best practices & processes
- Run targeted events (e.g. workshops) to reach potential client groups
Client management |
- Work collaboratively with the learning team to devise strategies that meet the client’s needs and budget
- Work with programme management teams to manage client relationships throughout the sales cycle and beyond
- Manage client contract renewals and pricing
- Support partner organisations in marketing workshops and other AMI products to constituents
Skills & attributes:
- Proven success in consultative sales and business development, particular in the context of entrepreneur/enterprise development
- A drive and tenacity to develop completely new sales
- An understanding of South Africa’s unique enterprise development environment
- Ability to generate new leads and relationships and systematically convert those leads into deals
- Ability to negotiate pricing and contracts with mid and large clients
- Ability to sell enterprise development services as well as management training and work readiness training for youth
- A commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability
- Clear and effective communicator – both written and verbal
- Strong people skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years sales experience, specifically selling services
- Documented success managing a full sales cycle
- Direct experience working on client accounts
- Experience in the context of enterprise development
- Experience writing business documents such as proposals and training presentations
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
- Experience using a CRM system desired
Joining Date: As soon as possible (July/August/September 2018)
Employment Status: Full-time. 6-month trial period.
Remuneration: Competitive base salary, attractive commission
Location: Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Please send a CV, cover letter and clear salary expectation/indication of your most recent salary to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should indicate your interest in working for AMI specifically, and applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please write BD Role: Southern Africa in the subject line.
We will be assessing applications and scheduling interviews on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Please also send any questions about the role to email@example.com.