AMI pioneers evidence-based approaches to learning and is looking for a competent researcher to support the research and development work headed by the chairman and co-founder in Johannesburg. The role is described as research and development to emphasise that while the research should be rigorous and could sometimes lead to scholarly publications. The principle aim is to enable AMI to develop and demonstrate new and effective practical ways of achieving its mission. The orientation is towards innovation rather than academic research.
The position is major time, with actual hours negotiable, and the successful candidate can work remotely, traveling to the AMI office in Rosebank, Johannesburg on average once per week. A requirement is therefore a good internet connection and the ability to use Skype and similar internet-based media.
The successful candidate will play a significant role in enabling AMI to remain at the cutting edge of business and management learning. We work hard, innovate constantly and have fun. AMI team members enjoy considerable latitude to be innovative and are expected to use their initiative to solve problems and grasp opportunities. This is a great opportunity for a researcher with a passion for business, learning and development to play a part in Africa’s transformation.
About the Job
The research associate should have a passion for contributing to the development of Africa through enabling entrepreneurs and managers to build effective organisations. S/he should be a competent and experienced researcher who can work on their own and initiate new directions of thought, while also being willing to assist and work under the direction of the chairman, and take responsibility for routine literature reviews and data collection. S/he must be able to find and critique literature, analyse data, write both popular and academic reports, and above all translate the data into incremental or substantial improvements in what AMI and our clients do.
- The RA will help to make research and development a standard feature of all AMI activities. In pursuit of this, s/he will:
- Ensure data are gathered in the routine AMI activities to track impact and identify improvements
- Analysis AMI impact data continually and report on it periodically
- Track literature
- Maintain a network of others involved in similar work
Support for the RCT in 2018 |
One of AMI’s programmes is being assessed in a large randomized control study in 2018. The research will be conducted by a team from MIT, with the chairman of AMI as our representative and liaison on the project team. The RA will assist the chairman in liaising with the research team and the organisations where the sample will be drawn, to ensure that the project runs smoothly. This may include administrative duties like keeping and circulating notes of meetings.
Extension of the RCT to further research projects
- The RA will help identify and implement other data collection opportunities alongside the main RCT.
Skills & attributes:
- Commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation, caring, accountability and integrity
- Ability to read and critique both academic and other literature, including the ability to synthesise a large body of work and extract key points
- High level of conceptual ability
- Excellent writing skills
- Organised and reliable
- Accurate attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively on his/her own as well as collaborate with others
Education and Experience
- Masters degree with substantial research component from an accredited university
- Evidence of academic writing
- Experience writing business or similar documents
- Experience with online literature search
- Experience using the usual document and spreadsheet software, Dropbox and/or other document sharing, plus internet search
- Preferred: experience preparing research proposals and reporting
- Preferred: experience in business and/or learning facilitation
Application Deadline: 23 November 2017
Employment Status: Major-time, hours to be agreed. 3-month probation period
Remuneration: Competitive, market related
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa.
Manage Others: No
Please send a CV & cover letter to email@example.com. We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.