AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and in the process reached over 25,000 individuals in over 25 countries in Africa. AMI is now looking for a Learning & Talent Manager to play three critical roles at AMI:
− Develop and manage AMI’s internal talent strategy, from sourcing great people to helping them learn and grow
− Lead expansion, training and accreditation of our freelance facilitator network across Africa
− Work with Chief Learning Officer on programme scope and design to ensure our clients get a high impact experience every single time
The Talent and Learning Manager will be based at AMI’s office in Nairobi and will work with AMI’s senior leadership team in Kenya and globally with teams in Nairobi, Johannesburg and Lagos. S/he should have extensive experience in adult learning/training and facilitation, a solid understanding of how business works, and experience working with Talent/HR processes.
This is a chance for someone with a passion for learning, technology and business growth to be part of Africa’s transformation.
About the Job
The Learning & Talent Manager must be a driven, organized, tech-savvy professional with great people and process management skills and the ability to understand learning needs in a business context to design high impact training solutions. S/he should be a first-class facilitator who can energise a room, direct interactive learning and hold their own with senior business leaders.
The successful candidate will play several key roles at AMI:
1) AMI Talent Development
− Sourcing & Selection: Develop AMI’s talent pipeline in 3 geographies by building relationships with
partners and raising AMI’s employer brand. Develop selection strategies and processes for core roles.
− Graduate Development Programme: Develop and manage AMI’s new graduate development
programme, overseeing training, peer mentoring and on-the-job rotations
− Remuneration, retention & performance: Work with CEO and country GMs to develop and implement
company-wide strategies around remuneration, retention and performance management.
− Learning & development: Work with our learning team to refine AMI’s on-boarding programme and
develop ongoing learning and development, particularly in new geographies.
2) Facilitation & facilitator management
− Work with the Chief Learning Officer to constantly develop and improve AMI’s blended learning strategy
and processes for scalability, particularly for business clients
− Create facilitator training manuals and supporting documents as AMI scales its blended learning offering
− Identify, select and train new facilitators; provide ongoing support and assessment for existing facilitators
− Lead development of a structured facilitator ‘accreditation’ process
− Manage allocation of facilitators for AMI’s busy schedule of workshops, including liaison with programme management teams
− Provide overall management and oversight of AMI facilitators
3) Learning Programme Design for Clients |
– Support business development teams across geographies but particularly in East Africa in understanding client needs and scoping new programmes
– Work with Chief Learning Officer to design programmes that leverage AMI’s world-class methodology, content and platform to meet the individual needs of business clients
– Provide learning design support to programme managers across geographies, with a focus on East Africa, including periodic analysis of programme progress and strategies to improve metrics
– Customise materials, including courses, resources, case studies and activities, as appropriate for key business clients.
– Work with the Chief Learning Officer to constantly develop and improve AMI’s blended learning strategy and processes for scalability
Skills & attributes:
- Strong understanding of work-based competencies. Ability to break down job roles within sectors and to identify training and development needs
- Strong learning design skills. Ability to design a learning programme that leverages AMI’s existing methodologies but meets the training needs of a specific sector and the learning styles of our target participants
- Ability to design and develop training curriculum and materials, working with subject matter experts
- Outstanding facilitation and coaching skills at a senior level
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal. Ability to build relationships with stakeholders at an executive level, and to write concise and engaging design briefs and proposals
- Outstanding Project/Programme Management skills at a senior level
- People management skills – ability to identify, train and motivate a network of freelance facilitators, to mentor and support junior staff in the office and to work laterally across AMI’s various functional departments in different locations
- A commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability
- Willingness to engage in robust debate while maintaining deep respect for others
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in company training or management education (essential)
- Experience designing and implementing learning programmes (essential)
- Experience developing and implementing talent/HR strategies, ideally in Kenya (preferred)
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent experience
Joining Date: March 2017
Employment Status: Full-time. 6-month trial period.
Remuneration: Competitive & commensurate with experience
Location: Nairobi, Kenya. Some travel required.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . This job specification is being issued in November 2016, with a view to identifying a suitable person to begin by March 2017. We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.