According to Harvard Business School, project managers are tasked with the responsibilities of producing defined outcomes within an established time-frame using specific allocation of resources. In doing so, the manager needs project management skills which entails the application of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to project activities to meet project requirements (Project Management Body of Knowledge).
As a manager or business owner, you’ll realize that not all your activities are routine or normal work. Some activities are about achieving an objective over a specific time period. We are going to give you five tips for managing your projects more effectively;
- Start by defining the project in the form of a summary of objectives, success criteria, and outcomes.
- Next begin planning by providing estimates of the activities that need to be done, budget, and identify resources required
- Once you have everything planned out, start organising the various project resources with the various stakeholders involved in your project
- You will need to ensure all activities are performed according to schedule, budget and quality by constant monitoring.
- Finally, finish by closing out the project and handing over the reports.
Does project management need distinctly different skill set from just operational management? To answer this question, for project managers to ensure successful execution and completion of a project, they need to possess a range of managerial capability, skills and knowledge are required to facilitate timely execution. These include;
- Human resources management
- Communication management
- Stakeholder management
- Scope management
- Time management
- Cost management
- Quality management
- Procurement management
- Risk integration
In your experience, what other activities are involved in the project management process? Let us know your opinion.
To learn about these topics and more, sign up for our Managing Project course. The objective of the course is to provide you with the knowledge and the tools that will help you manage your projects most efficiently to optimize your current resources and deliver quality results. Click HERE to get started!